- On 1 March 1983, the watch brand Swatch with an emphasis on youthful fashion quartz watches comes on the market.
- Jean-Claude Biver and Jacques Piguet reactivate the brand Blancpain. With their luxury watches with mechanical movements they etablish a contrast to the trend of cheap Japanese quartz watches.
- Audemars Piguet introduces the first Royal Oak with a perpetual calendar, the limited-production Ref. 5554.
- Jaeger-LeCoultre celebrates their 150th anniversary by officially re-launching the Reverso, which the company had revived four years earlier, and the complicated Moonphase Watch.
- A consortium of Rolf Schnyder, Dieter Meier, and Balthasar Meier purchase Ulysse Nardin from Ogival.