- Jack W. Heuer, who has controlled the fate of the company Heuer since the 1960's and has been responsible for the development of legendary sports watch classics like the Carrera, is appointed honorary president of the brand TAG Heuer and also gets a position as a consultant.
- In Fleurier the Fondation Qualité Fleurier / Fleurier Quality Foundation (FQF) is formed, among others by the manufacturers Chopard and Parmigiani. Its aim is the creation of better, the COSC certification surpassing criteria of quality for watches of the haute horlogerie.
- Günter Blümlein, who has contributed crucially to watch history as a patron of IWC and LMH and as a co-initiator of the rebirth of A. Lange & Söhne, dies on 1 October in Schaffhausen.
- On 8 November the Patek Philippe Museum, one of the most important museums in the world of watches, is opened in Geneva.
- The Grand Prix d'Horlogerie de Genève is founded on May 31. Vacheron Constantin wins the "Aiguille d'Or" grand prize for the Lady Kalla in November.
- Gérald Genta, having sold the brand Gérald Genta named after him in 1998, founds again his own brand under the new name Gérald Charles and brings his own new watches on the market.