Regulation is the fine tuning of a watch with mechanical oscillating system. There are different methods and qualities:
- With normal regulation the rate of a wristwatch is measured with "dial up" and "crown above" and adjusted to a rate deviation of a maximum of 30 seconds.
- With regulation in various positions one regulates in 2, 5 or 6 positions, such as
- horizontal: "dial up", "dial down" and
- vertical: "crown up", "crown left", "crown right", "crown down".
- With regulation of the temperature compensation the rate is measured and regulated at 4°, 20° and 36°C, in each case for 24 hours.
- by regulator
- Swan's neck fine regulation
- by screw balance
- by Microstella weight screws (Rolex-spezific procedure with screws inside the balance wheel)