IWC Pilot's Watch Midsize
The Pilot's Watch Midsize is a pilot's watch produced by IWC in 2006 and 2007.
The legendary IWC Mark XI aviator's watch was a “cult watch”. Produced from 1948 until the early eighties, the Mark XI was never available to the public. Sensing an opportunity in the 1990s, IWC introduced a civilian version in 1993, the Mark XII. Over the following decades the watch grew larger and more complicated, with the case growing to 39 mm for the Mark XVI in 2006. That same year, IWC introduced the smallest Pilot's Watch yet, this 34 mm Pilot's Watch Midsize.
Like the Mark XVI, the Midsize was counted as part of the classic Pilot's Watch series and was available in regular and “Spitfire” versions. The dial strongly resembles the Mark XVI as well, with numerals at 3, 6, 9, and 12 skipped, a simple chapter ring with larger luminous markers at those points, and a triangle with two dots at 12. Sword hands are new for both models, reflecting the unlimited Mark XV Spitfire introduced in 2003. Both models use the same movement as well, IWC's Cal. 30110, a re-worked ETA 2892/A2. One notable differentiator is that the Midsize lacks the “Mark XVI” label on the dial.
The Pilot's Watch Midsize was available in two versions, both with a stainless steel case The classic version has a black dial and black or brown leather strap, while the Spitfire features a silver “pie pan” dial with a brown or bordeaux leather strap.
The Pilot's Watch Midsize did not last long in production, being cancelled after 2007. The successor, Pilot's Watch 36 was not introduced until 2016 and had a 36 mm case.
- IW3256-01 Stainless steel case, black dial, black leather strap
- IW3256-02 “Spitfire” Stainless steel case, silver dial, brown leather strap
- IW3256-04 Stainless steel case, black dial, brown leather strap
- IW3256-05 “Spitfire” Stainless steel case, silver dial, bordeaux leather strap
- Automatic winding calibre IWC 30110
- Ø 34 mm
- Screw-down caseback in stainless steel
- Black or silver with luminous indexes (triangle at 12 o'clock)
- White numerals at 1, 2, 4, 5, 7, 8, 10, 11
- Steel hours and minutes hand, coated with luminous color
- White seconds hand
- Hours, minutes, central seconds with hacking seconds
- Date window at 3 00
- Leather strap
- Successor IWC Pilot's Watch 36