Silver is a precious metal.
Latin: argentum. Chemical symbol: Ag
- Silver is highly resistant to air and acids. In case of contact with sulfur compounds occur brown black coverings, but they are easy to remove.
- A smooth silver surface is the best reflector of light.
- Silver is very stretchy and harder than gold: Mohs hardness 2.7 (annealed).
- Although silver is a precious metal and suitable as an investment, it is affordable for everyone in the quantities required for the creation of jewelry.
- By alloying with other metals the optical and mechanical properties of silver can be largely changed and adapted to different needs.