Table of Contents
Sinn 900 Hummer, limited collector's edition of the Model 900
Attributes of expedition watches
Under the umbrella term “expedition watches” can be summarized watches, which are particularly resistant to adverse external conditions such as extreme cold or heat, dirt or shocks and natural moisture, and which, on the other hand, offer additional special functions.
Breitling “Emergency” with emergency transmitter
Only skillfully produced facade - or real value?
Interested buyers and watch connoisseurs who are inspired for the flair of expedition watches (“freedom and adventure”), should however take care not to get fooled by models of manufacturers who try to catch customers with only a superficial appearance of robustness. In the lower quality (and price) segments, often provided with inexpensive quartz movements, these watches often don't comply with their outer facade, when it really gets tough. If in doubt, you should orient yourself on empiric reports (which can be found abundantly and easily in the internet) and test reports of good specialist journals about watches.
In recent years the manufacturer Sinn has, by ever-new efforts, built stable, reliable and robust watches, and so acquired special merits in this area. The same is valid for another German manufacturer, the watch brand Damasko near Regensburg.
Breitling Emergency Mission
A selection of typical models
- Rolex Oyster Perpetual Date Explorer II - High-precision chronometer with 24-hour indication, optionally to be used as a dual time-zone. As an application, amongst other things, the area of caving is aimed at, because there is no way of distinguishing between day and night.
- Sinn 900 - Expedition chronograph with numerous display and calculation capabilities.
- Sinn 203 Arktis - Diver's chronograph with special coldness technology
- Porsche Design by IWC Compass Watch - The Classic with a compass the upper case can be open with a button closure and shows the underlying compass and a mirror
- Breitling Emergency - Quartz watch with built-in emergency transmitter
- Breitling Emergency Mission - Quartz chronograph with built-in emergency transmitter