IWC Pilot's Watch Chronograph 3717
IWC Pilot's Watch Chrono-Automatic, stainless steel
IWC Pilot's Watch Chrono-Automatic, red gold
The Pilot's Watch Chronograph (Ref. 3717) was a pilot's watch automatic chronograph produced by IWC from 2006 through 2012.
The legendary IWC Mark XI aviator's watch was a “cult watch”. Produced from 1948 until the early eighties, the Mark XI was never available to the public. Sensing an opportunity in the 1990s, IWC introduced a civilian version in 1993, the Mark XII. But this was not the first civilian “flieger” from IWC. In 1988 the company introduced the Pilot's Watch Chronograph Mechaquartz model, with a Doppelchronograph added in 1992. The Mechaquartz was replaced by the Pilot's Watch Chronograph, Ref. 3706 in 1994. This would be the main chronograph model for over a decade.
The mainstream Pilot's Watch Chronograph was completely updated in 2006 becoming this Ref. 3717 model. The case was enlarged from 39 mm to 42 mm in keeping with current trends, the dial was updated with deep subdials, and the look was modified to match the XVI, which was launched the same year. The movement, although still based on the ETA 7750, was updated with Triovis regulation and refinished with nickel plating to become the Cal. 79320.
The Pilot's Watch Chronograph was updated in 2012 with a new 43 mm case to become the Ref. 3777. Additionally, the new Ref. 3878 introduced a two-register in-house movement. All Ref. 3717 models were discontinued at this time.
- IW3717-01 (2006-2012) Stainless steel case, black dial with white markings, black crocodile strap
- IW3717-02 “Spitfire” (2006-2012) Stainless steel case, silver dial with applied markers, brown crocodile strap
- IW3717-04 (2006-2012) Stainless steel case, black dial with white markings, steel bracelet
- IW3717-05 “Spitfire” (2006-2012) Stainless steel case, silver dial with applied markers, steel bracelet
- IW3717-09 “Antoine de Saint-Exupery” (2006) Stainless steel case, brown dial with applied markers, black leather strap, limited edition of 1,630 pieces
- IW3717-11 “Antoine de Saint-Exupery” (2006) Rose gold case, brown dial with applied markers, black leather strap, limited edition of 250 pieces
- IW3717-12 “Laureus” (2007) Stainless steel case, blue “Spitfire” dial with applied markers, blue crocodile strap, limited edition of 2,500 pieces
- IW3717-13 (2006-2012) Rose gold case, black dial, brown crocodile strap
- Automatic chronograph calibre Cal. 79320
- Ø 42 mm
- H 14.7 mm
- Screw-down caseback in stainless steel
- Luminous indexes (triangle at 12 o'clock)
- Arabic numerals
- Steel hours and minutes hand, coated with luminous color
- Painted seconds hands
- Hours, minutes
- Chronograph seconds hand
- Chronograph hours at 6 00
- Small seconds at 9 00
- Chronograph 30 minute counter at 12 00
- Metal bracelet or leather strap
- Predecessor IWC Pilot's Watch Chronograph 3706