IWC Pilot's Watch Mark XVI
IWC Mark XVI
IWC Mark XVI, leather strap
Its “historic” godfather, the Pilot's Watch Mark XI, was one of the most famous pilot's watches at all. In a grueling flight suitability test of the German magazine “Uhrenmagazin” (Watch Magazine) in September 2000 its immediate predecessor, the Pilot's Watch Mark XV, asserted itself with assurance against ten of the best pilot's watches. Now comes a worthy successor with the Mark XVI.
It has grown by one millimeter in diameter to 39 millimeters, thus the proportions of this watch appear even more balanced. The reduced design of the dial, reminiscent of aircraft cockpits, allows the Mark XVI to appear as a logical continuation of the pilot's watches legend Mark 11. The self-winding watch movement Calibre IWC 30110 (based on the ETA 2892/A2) with a power reserve of 42 hours continues showing the date at 3 00. Magnetic field protection, a glass secured against pressure drops and a water resistance to 60 meters make the Mark XVI a reliable companion for everyday life and in extreme situations as well.
Pilot's Watches for Father and Son
The changes include sword hands and the removal of the numerals at 6 and 9 to better balance the dial. A Spitfire version of the Mark XV has a “pie pan” silver dial and sword hands. A limited-edition model (350 units) for Japan was produced in 2010 with a classic Mark IX look, complete with cathedral hands and a “railroad” chapter ring. Another special version of the Mark XVI was the Father & Son, which included two matching watches on riveted leather straps.
A smaller 34 mm Pilot's Watch Midsize was introduced alongside the Mark XVI, but this did not last long in production. The IWC Pilot's Watch Mark XVII, introduced in 2012, grows further to 41 mm and features a controversial “triple” or “rising” date window.
- IW3255-01 (2006-2012) stainless steel case, black dial, black crocodile leather strap
- IW3255-02 “Spitfire” (2006-2012) stainless steel case, silver dial, brown crocodile leather strap
- IW3255-12 “Father & Son” (2006-2013) stainless steel case, silver dial, riveted brown leather strap
- IW3255-16 “Japan” (2010) stainless steel case, black dial, black crocodile leather strap, limited to 350 units
- IW3255-17 “Japan” (2010) stainless steel case, black dial, stainless steel bracelet, limited to 350 units
- IW3255-19 “Father & Son” (2006) stainless steel case, silver dial, riveted black leather strap
- Ø 39.00 mm, H 11.50 mm
- Soft iron inner case for magnetic field protection
- Screw-down caseback in stainless steel
- Waterproof to 6 atm
- Black with luminous indexes (triangle at 12 h)
- Black hours and minutes hand coated with Superluminova
- White seconds hand
- Hours, minutes, central seconds, date
- IWC, International Watch Co. Schaffhausen, Engl. ed.; Authors Hans-F. Tölke, Jürgen King; ISBN 3906500152
- Die Grande Complication von IWC; Author Manfred Fritz von Edition Stemmle, Kilchb.; ISBN 3908162076
- Armbanduhren Spezial IWC-Geschichte, Design, Technik; Author Jörg M. Mehltretter; ISBN 3898800458
- IWC - Die Noblen aus der Schweiz. Handbuch für den Uhrensammler; Author Jörg M. Mehltretter; ISBN 3898802272
- IWC, International Watch Co. Schaffhausen, Luxury engl. ed.; Authors Hans-F. Tölke, Jürgen King ISBN 3906500160
- Die Fliegeruhren von IWC. German edition - version IWC; Authors Rüdiger Bucher, Christian Pfeiffer-Belli; ISBN 387188071X