Table of Contents
alarm movement from Jaeger-LeCoultre.
In 1949, Jaeger-LeCoultre began working on an alarm movement to rival the Vulcain Cricket. Their answer was introduced at Basel in 1951, the manual winding "Wrist Alarm" and later Memovox powered by Calibre 489. It featured two crowns, one at 4 00 for traditional time setting and winding and a second at 2 00 to wind and move a 12-hour disc which triggers the alarm function. Calibre 489 was replaced by Calibre 814 after 1958.
The alarm hammer struck a protuberance on the back plate, making a distinctive buzzing sound. Even if the alarm was not wound, the hammer rattled freely against the protuberance.
Calibre 489 was also available with Parachoc shock protection, called Calibre P489.
Introduced in 1952, Calibre 601 is an extremely rare variant of Calibre 489. Serving as a transitional model, it has a single bridge covering the barrel and wheels. It is 1 mm wider than both the predecessor Caliber 489 and successor, Caliber 814. Fewer than 2,000 Calibre 601 movements and watches were produced.
The name, Calibre 601, was also used in 1982 on the world's thinnest quartz movement from Jaeger-LeCoultre.
- 12.5 lignes in diameter, 5.2 mm thick
- Glucydur balance, automatically compensating flat hairspring
- 18,000 A/h
- Double barrel (time and alarm)
- Direct sweep seconds
- 17 jewels
- Alarm hammer inside case back
Jaeger-LeCoultre Alarm Calibres
- Manual winding
- 1951-1958 Calibre 489 (also P489 with Parachoc shock resistance) - screwed balance, dual top plates
- 1952 Calibre 601 - transitional model, fewer than 2,000 produced, with a single top plate
- 1953-1964 Calibre 814 - improved model (also Parachoc P814 and Kif K814) - screwed balance, single top plate
- 1962-1979 Calibres 910 and 911 - 911 added a date function, solid balance, dual top plates
- 1996 Calibre 914 - manual with gong
- Automatic winding
- 1956-1966 Calibre 815 - bumper automatic, 18,000 A/h; 825 adds a date function
- 1959-1969 Calibre 825 - Cal. 815 plus date function
- 1969-1983 Calibre 916 "Speedbeat" - free-turning rotor, 28,800 A/h, date, Kif only
- 1994-2008 Calibre 918 - updated 916
- 2007-present Calibre 912 - automatic, gong, 24-hour function
- 2008-present Calibre 956 - automatic, gong
- Specialty calibres
- 1989 Calibre 919 - perpetual calendar and bronze gong
- 2005 Calibre 909 - selectable gong or vibration