Table of Contents
IWC Big Pilot 5002
The Big Pilot Ref. 5002 is an over-sized pilot's watch produced by IWC from 2002 through 2006.
IWC created a “Spezialuhr für Flieger” (“Special Watch for Pilots”) in 1936 with clean black dial, large hands, and luminous numerals. Although the 36 mm case was fairly large for the time, pilots preferred an even larger dial and crown for extra visibility in the cockpit. In 1940, IWC responded with an official product, the prototypical “Big Pilot's watch”. Created for the German Air Force, it had a massive 55 mm diameter case. The dial featured a luminous triangle at 12 flanked by two dots, plain numerals, and large luminous sword hands. Another essential element was a massive cone-shaped crown, allowing the watch to be operated while wearing gloves.
By the end of the 1990s, the Mark XV and Pilot's Watch Chronograph had become signature models for IWC. Watch case sizes were growing rapidly, and consumers were responding to “heritage” models that recalled the past.
In 2002 IWC resurrected the oversized “Grosse Fliegeruhr” as the Big Pilot, Ref. 5002. It used the new in-house automatic Cal. 5011, which used the company's trademark Pellaton winding system and boasted a seven-day power reserve. Notable differences from the original are the smaller 46 mm case, central seconds, a date window at 6 00, and a power reserve indicator at 3 00.
Limited-edition platinum versions were also created, with 499 of 500 units sold. 386 examples had a blue dial and strap, while 113 had a low-key black dial and strap. One unique aspect of the LE was the use of applied markers and numerals, a feature that carried over to the replacement Ref. 5004.
In late 2005, IWC updated the movement in the Big Pilot to the improved 21,600 A/h Cal. 51110. These “transitional” models are similar to the Ref. 5004, which was introduced later in 2006.
IWC updated the movement and expanded the line in 2006 with the replacement Big Pilot, Ref. 5004.
- IW5002-01 (2002-2005) Stainless steel case, black dial, riveted brown leather strap
- IW5002-02 “Platinum Blue” or “Jordan” (2002-2005) Platinum case, blue dial, riveted blue leather strap, limited to 386 pieces
- IW5002-03 “Platinum Black” (2002-2005) Platinum case, black dial, riveted black leather strap, limited to 113 pieces
- Automatic winding calibre Cal. 5011 (late examples with Cal. 51110)
- Ø 46.2 mm
- Screw-down caseback in stainless steel
- Luminous applied or painted indexes (triangle at 12 o'clock)
- Arabic numerals
- Steel hours and minutes hand, coated with luminous color
- Painted seconds hand
- Hours, minutes, central seconds
- Power reserve indicator at 3 00
- Date window at 6 00
- Leather strap
- Predecessor IWC Big Pilot's Watch
- Successor IWC Big Pilot 5004