Jaeger-LeCoultre Reverso Gyrotourbillon 2
Jaeger-LeCoultre introduced their two-axis tourbillon in the 2004 Gyrotourbillon 1, and this was the successor. Introduced in 2008, the Reverso Gyrotourbillon 2 was a limited edition of 75 pieces, lavishly decorated and finished in a platinum case. The openwork movement, JLC 174, is visible on both sides of the Reverso case, with hour/minute hands and a subsidiary seconds window on the front and a 24-hour display and power reserve indicator with 50 hour markings on the rear.
Fitted in a classic Reverso case, the Reverso Gyrotourbillon 2 was notable for its cylindrical balance spring as well as the twin-axis tourbillon. Although patented in 1782 by John Arnold, a cylindrical balance spring had never been miniaturized for use in a wristwatch until this introduction. The shape makes the Calibre 174 more isochronous, with two terminal curves on a balance cock giving more even motion with each rotation.
Launched for the 175th Birthday of Jaeger-LeCoultre, the Reverso Gyrotourbillon 2 was one of the most remarkable achievements of contemporary Haute Horlogerie. It was awarded the "Complicated Watch Prize" at the 2008 Grand Prix d' Horlogerie de Genève. Today, it is counted by Jaeger-LeCoultre as the fifth entry in their Hybris Mechanica line.