Jaeger-LeCoultre Reverso Duoface
Introduced in 1994, the Reverso Duoface was an added complication to the historic Reverso line which had been reintroduced two decades earlier after years of being out of production. Like the Reverso, the Reverso Duoface features a "flip-over" two-sided case. But the Duoface uses the second side for a second face and hands rather than a protective metal shield.
The basic Duoface features "day" and "night" faces, with most models also adding a pushbutton-operated GMT feature allowing the "night" side to show a second time zone. The Reverso Duoface uses a special version of the JLC 844 movement called the 854 with added gears to drive the second face and GMT function. This movement was modified to be the 854/1 with a larger pushbutton for the GMT function rather than small embedded pushers. The refreshed Classic and Tribute line of 2016 further refined the Duoface movement to become Cal. 854A/2, which uses a switch at the top of the case rather than a button.
The Reverso Duoface is available in yellow gold, red gold or stainless steel and with an alligator leather strap or metal bracelet. This model is called Reverso Duoface in German, French, and Spanish and Reverso Duo in English and Japanese.
The first Reverso Duoface was released in 1994. It used the new Grande Taille case, introduced three years earlier, and drives two faces with a single movement. The original Ref. 270 Duoface came in yellow gold with a silver dial on both sides (Ref. 270.1.54) but most later models have a black dial on the "home" side. The silver and black look, and the words "Night" and "Day" on the home side, gave rise to the popular nickname for this model, "Night & Day". This was produced in yellow gold (Ref. 270.2.54) or stainless steel (Ref. 270.8.54). An official "Night and Day" model (Ref. 270.3.54) was also produced, with a day/night indicator on the silver away dial.
The Duoface was updated to include a raised rectangular push button in 2004. The movement was now called Cal. 854/1 and the reference number was changed to 272.8.54 (steel) or 272.2.54 (gold), both with silver and black dials. The look of the watch was also "harmonized" with the rest of the current Reverso Grande Taille range at that time. A decade later, Jaeger-LeCoultre renumbered this model again, becoming Ref. Q2718410 (steel) or Q2712410 (gold).
When the Reverso line was refreshed in 2016, a number of new Duoface models appeared. The Grande Taille was replaced by the Classic Medium Duoface "Small Seconds" and Tribute Duoface, now with Cal. 854A/2 which uses a hidden switch to adjust the second time zone rather than a pusher. The Grande Reverso is replaced by the Classic Large Duoface with Cal. 969 (automatic) or Cal. 822/2 (hand-winding "Small Seconds").
- Case number 272 - 42.2 x 26.0 x 9.4 mm
- Reverso Grande Taille Duoface (Cal. 854) - yellow gold case and silver/silver dials (270.1.54), yellow gold case and silver/black dials (270.2.54), steel with silver/black dials (270.8.54)
- Reverso Grande Taille Duoface Night and Day (Cal. 854 with day/night indicator) - steel with black/silver dials (270.3.54)
- Reverso Grande Taille Duoface (updated), Ref. 271 (Cal. 854/1) silver/black dials - steel (Q2718410, 272.8.54), gold (Q2712410, 272.2.54)
- Grande Reverso Duoface (48x30) - steel with silver/black dials (273.8.85)
- Reverso Gran'Sport Duoface (42x28) Cal. 861 - steel with silver/black dials (295.8.51)
- Grande Reverso Ultra Thin Duoface, Ref. 378 (2013-2016) - Cal. 854/1
- Reverso Classic Medium Duoface Small Seconds (2017-present) - Cal. 854A/2 - steel (Q2458420)
- Reverso Classic Large Duoface (2016-present) - Cal. 969 - steel (Q3838420), gold (Q3832420)
- Reverso Classic Large Duoface Small Seconds (2017-present) - Cal. 822/2 - steel/black (Q3848420), steel/brown (Q3848422)
- Reverso Tribute Duoface (2016-present) - Cal. 854A/2 - steel (Q3908420), gold (Q3902420)
- Reverso Tribute Duoface Large (2018-present) - Cal. 854A/2 - steel (Q3908420), gold (Q3902420)
- Reverso Tribute Duoface Blue 45.6x27.4 - 3978480