Around 1864 Ferdinand Adolph Lange developed the legendary classical three-quarter plate caliber in Glashütte for pocket watches. Here the plate covers about three-quarters of the movement. Barrel, crown wheel and the whole gear train are stored there. The bearing of the balance wheel and the anchor are in a cock. To facilitate construction, the wheels and jewels are anchored using gold chatons that are attached after the plates are brought together.
Today the ¾ plate is considered as special mark for quality Glashütte watches, but it is also commonly found in British or American pocket watches. It is traditionally made in untreated German silver. Compared to designs with several bridges the three-quarter plate gives the movement significantly more stability.