With emphasis on high class mechanical watches and covering the best timepieces and their manufacturers in the first place, this watch wiki suits as reading matter for the connoisseur of this fascinating species of watches. So one could call it a special "Wikipedia for Watches".
Here you can find an abundance of details about the leading watch brands and the best timepieces of the world, but also background reports about watch history and about the famous watchmakers and their career.
This website is also very useful as a handy shopping guide, because it is very fast, neutral, independent and provides important background information.
Current status: 5,569 pages and 3,654 images.
On this day
On this day August 12:
- 2002 — The town of Glashütte is flooded, seriously damaging the historic home of Ferdinand Adolf Lange and the Nomos factory, as well as the operations of A. Lange & Söhne, Glashütte Original, and Mühle. The collections of the Glashütte Watch Museum were spared since they had been temporarily moved for renovation.
Top 10: Most Popular Watch Brands and Models
Top 10 Brands
In the News
Audemars Piguet Royal Oak 15202
© Audemars Piguet
The 2019 Grand Prix d'Horlogerie de Genève awards were announced, with an unprecedented 19 trophies given. Audemars Piguet won the “Aiguille d'Or” Grand Prix for the Royal Oak Selfwinding Perpetual Calendar Ultra-Thin, while Kudoke took the “Petite Aiguille” for the Kudoke 2 and Tudor won the Challenge Watch Prize for the Black Bay P01.
Audemars Piguet was also honored with the Iconic Watch Prize for the Royal Oak "Jumbo" Extra-thin, making that line the most celebrated in the history of the award. Important complicated watches included Urwerk's Audacity Prize winning AMC, Genus' Mechanical Exception Prize winning GNS1.2, and Ferdinand Berthoud's Chronometry Watch Prize winning Carburised steel regulator. Audemars Piguet won the Men's Complication Watch Prize for the Code 11.59 by Audemars Piguet Minute Repeater Supersonnerie, while MB&F won the Ladies' Complication Watch Prize for the Legacy Machine FlyingT. Chanel once again won the Ladies' Watch Prize, this time for the J12 Calibre 12.1, while Voutilainen won the Men's Watch Prize for the 28ti in November. Another important winner was Bulgari's Octo Finissimo Chronograph GMT Automatic, which won the Chronograph Watch Prize.
Newcomers Genus, Kudoke, and Ming won their first award, while Audemars Piguet picked up 3 more, cementing their status as the most honored company in history. Voutilainen also impressed, with 2 awards, while Chanel and Seiko continued their dominance of the Ladies' and Sports/Diver's watch categories. Luc Pettavino was honored with the Special Jury Prize for founding Only Watch.
Greubel Forsey Grande Sonnerie
© Greubel Forsey
Greubel Forsey wins the prize for the extraordinary mechanical watch at the Grand Prix d'Horlogerie de Genève
Robert Greubel, Stephen Forsey and their team completed eleven years of research for this model, assembled no less than 935 components, filed two patents, incorporated Greubel Forsey's third basic invention (the Tourbillon 24 Secondes), developed an acoustic resonance cage generating an extreme purity of sound, installed eleven functional safety features, and carried out a three-year wear test.
Sinn 1800 Damaszener
Sinn presents a watch made of Damascus steel on the MunichTime 2018
The Frankfurt watch manufacturer Sinn presented a 100 pieces limited watch made of Damascus steel on the MunichTime in 2018. In order to bring the characteristics textures of Damascus steel to the fore – an organic pattern of alternating bands of light and dark – the dial and central part of the case are forged from a complete steel block rather than designed as separate components, as is customary. The result is rather remarkable for the Damascus pattern on the dial continues across the entire case to create a fascinating and impressive whole.
Damascus steel has fascinated humankind for centuries. It gained its legendary reputation above all in the making of swords, knives and blades. Damascus steel is a combination of at least two different types of steel, layered to create the aforesaid surface design.
The traditional art of making Damascus steel is very elaborate and portrays a unique blend of craftsmanship and application. During production, the different types of steel are layered and forge-welded together.
The piece is then forged, halved while in a glowing state and layered together again. Experts refer to this as ‘folding'. By combining soft and hard steels, a new kind of steel is created, one which displays properties of both. In the final stage of production, the Damascus pattern is made visible through surface etching. The steels are dissolved to varying extents by acid, thus forming the typical light and dark nuances.
Also during production of the 1800 S DAMASZENER, the layered structure is made visible through final surface etching, which gives the material its characteristic appearance. Each watch thus becomes an extraordinary and unique timepiece, as the flow of lines cannot be physically manipulated.
Bell & Ross BR S-92 Golden Heritage
© Bell & Ross
Stylish timepiece by Bell & Ross
In December 2018, Bell & Ross presents this new model with the typical square case. The watch has a black dial with gilded indices and can optionally to be combined with a caramel colored leather bracelet or a Milanaise strap.
- 23.7.2022 — A. Lange & Söhne 1815 Rattrapante
- 8.6.2022 — Genus • Genus GNS 1.2 • Genus GNS 1.1 • Charles Girardier • Charles Girardier Tourbillon Signature Mystérieuse ‘Fleur de Sel’ • Charles Girardier Tourbillon Signature Mystérieuse ‘Chevrons’ • Chevron pattern • Charles Girardier Magic 8 Emerald Green • Charles Girardier Magic 8 Cobalt Blue
- 5.6.2022 — Greubel Forsey QP à Équation • Greubel Forsey Quadruple Tourbillon Secret • Greubel Forsey Quadruple Tourbillon (update) • Greubel Forsey Signature 1 • Greubel Forsey Tourbillon 24 Secondes (update) • Greubel Forsey Tourbillon 24 Secondes Contemporain • Greubel Forsey Tourbillon 24 Secondes Edition Historique
- 3.6.2022 — Cartier Pasha Moon Phases 41 mm • Cartier Pasha 42 mm • Cartier Pasha 42 mm Chronograph • Cartier Pasha 41 mm Chronograph • Cartier Pasha 41 mm Skeleton • Cartier Pasha 41 mm Tourbillon • Cartier Pasha 41 mm Tourbillon Skeleton • Cartier Pasha 41 mm Tourbillon Skeleton Diamonds • Cartier Pasha 41 mm Grid
- 22.5.2022 — Cartier Drive Extra-Flat
- 21.5.2022 — Cartier Rotonde de Cartier Calendar Aperture and Power Reserve • Cartier Rotonde de Cartier Large Date Retrograde Second Time Zone and Day Night Indicator • Cartier Rotonde de Cartier Chronograph • Cartier Ballon Bleu 36 mm • Cartier Ballon Bleu 40 mm • Cartier Ballon Bleu Moon Phase 37 mm
- 7.5.2022 — Laurent Ferrier Sport Auto
- 6.5.2022 — Jaeger-LeCoultre Polaris Perpetual Calendar
- 2.5.2022 — Reservoir
- 27.4.2022 — Patek Philippe Calatrava 5226
- 24.4.2022 — Patek Philippe Aquanaut Luce 5268
- 22.4.2022 — Patek Philippe Sky Moon Tourbillon 6002 • Patek Philippe Minute Repeater Perpetual Calendar 5374/300P • Patek Philippe Minute Repeater 5078 • Patek Philippe Minute Repeater Tourbillon Perpetual Calendar 5316 • Patek Philippe Minute Repeater Tourbillon 5303 • Patek Philippe Grande and Petite Sonnerie Minute Repeater 6301 • Patek Philippe Flyback Chronograph Annual Calendar 5905
- 21.4.2022 — Patek Philippe Calatrava 6119
- 9.4.2022 — Patek Philippe Calatrava 5116
- 7.4.2022 — Leonidas (update)
- 5.4.2022 — Trilobe
- 24.3.2022 — A. Lange & Söhne Zeitwerk Honeygold “Lumen” • Lange L043.9 • Honeygold • Eza Watches • A. Lange & Söhne 1815 Chronograph “Best of Show 2021” Concorso d’Eleganza Villa d’Este • A. Lange & Söhne Langematik Perpetual (Update) • A. Lange & Söhne Saxonia Outsize Date • A. Lange & Söhne Saxonia Moon Phase • Lange L086.5 • Lange L086.8
- 1.3.2022 — A. Lange & Söhne Saxonia Triple Split
- 16.2.2022 — Union Glashütte Noramis Datum
- 10.2.2022 — Hand (updated)
- 10.2.2022 — Ochs und Junior
- 29.1.2022 — 1782
- 30.12.2021 — Ferrari Engineered by Officine Panerai
- 23.12.2021 — Greubel Forsey GMT Quadruple Tourbillon
- 21.12.2021 — Raketa Classic Big Zero
- 18.12.2021 — Jean Marcel
- 12.11.2021 — Rotating bezel (updated)
- 8.11.2021 — Chronoswiss C.70
- 3.11.2021 — Bauhaus
- 29.10.2021 — Fabriques de Balanciers Réunies
- 28.10.2021 — Grand Feu
- 27.10.2021 — Timex
- 21.10.2021 — Circula
- 25.10.2021: Due to an oversight, numerous overlays on the portal pages such as Watch Brand/ Watch Model/ Encyclopedia Article of the Week, The Most Important Watch Brands, Watch Classics, The Movement and Watch Knowledge have not been visible to non-logged-in visitors. This is fixed as of now.
- 26.8.2021: This web page and domain is now working under the wiki system Dokuwiki instead of Mediawiki, which in the end was over-complicated and extremly bulky. At the same time the whole design has been upgraded. Please enjoy!
- Sinn 657
Top quality at a still unbeaten price/performance ratio
- Bell & Ross BR 02 Pink Gold
Synthesis of instrument watch and style
- Audemars Piguet Millenary Deadbeat Seconds 26091
Attractive design meets watchmaking innovation
Hand winding ultra flat
- Piaget Altiplano 40 mm
The same, only from a competing provider
Chronographs - self-winding
- TAG Heuer Grand Carrera Calibre 36 RS Caliper Concept watch
High-quality manufacture movement measures 1/10 sec mechanically, the whole thing with a striking exterior garnish
- Rainer Brand Kerala Sport E
The insider tip manufacturer keeps delivering authentic quality
Chronographs - manual winding
World Timers / Watches with Additional Time Zone
Watches with Repetition
- Audemars Piguet Jules Audemars Minutenrepetition Springende Stunde
Audemars Piguet keeps loyal to its long tradition of elaborate repetitions
Watches with Perpetual Calendar
- Audemars Piguet Millenary Tradition d'Excellence 5
Newly developed Escapement concept, attractively packaged
- Girard-Perregaux Laureato Evo 3 Chronograph Ewiger Kalender
Sportiness meets haute horlogerie
Astronomical Watches - self-winding
Astronomical Watches - manual winding