The web encyclopedia Watch Wiki presents an abundance of information about top quality wristwatches and the most prestigious watch companies which produce them.
With emphasis on high class mechanical watches and covering the best timepieces and their manufacturers in the first place, this watch wiki suits as reading matter for the connoisseur of this fascinating species of watches. So one could call it a special “Wikipedia for Watches”.
Here you can find an abundance of details about the leading watch brands and the best timepieces of the world, but also background reports about watch history and about the famous watchmakers and their career.
This website is also very useful as a handy shopping guide, because it is very fast, neutral, independent and provides important background information.
Current status: 5,569 pages and 3,654 images.
On this day
What happened on March 30:
- 2006 — The industry is surprised by the introduction of the Harry Winston Opus 6 at BaselWorld; Robert Greubel and Stephen Forsey developed the novel inclined tourbillon in just six months.
- 2006 — Seiko sets their sights on haute horology, introducing the Credor Spring Drive Sonnerie at Baselworld.
- 2017 — The first stone is laid for the radical new Audemars Piguet museum in Le Brassus. It would open in June 2020.
Top 10: Most Popular Watch Brands and Models
Top 10 Brands
In the News
Audemars Piguet Royal Oak 15202
© Audemars Piguet
The 2019 Grand Prix d'Horlogerie de Genève awards were announced, with an unprecedented 19 trophies given. Audemars Piguet won the “Aiguille d'Or” Grand Prix for the Royal Oak Selfwinding Perpetual Calendar Ultra-Thin, while Kudoke took the “Petite Aiguille” for the Kudoke 2 and Tudor won the Challenge Watch Prize for the Black Bay P01.
Audemars Piguet was also honored with the Iconic Watch Prize for the Royal Oak "Jumbo" Extra-thin, making that line the most celebrated in the history of the award. Important complicated watches included Urwerk's Audacity Prize winning AMC, Genus' Mechanical Exception Prize winning GNS1.2, and Ferdinand Berthoud's Chronometry Watch Prize winning Carburised steel regulator. Audemars Piguet won the Men's Complication Watch Prize for the Code 11.59 by Audemars Piguet Minute Repeater Supersonnerie, while MB&F won the Ladies' Complication Watch Prize for the Legacy Machine FlyingT. Chanel once again won the Ladies' Watch Prize, this time for the J12 Calibre 12.1, while Voutilainen won the Men's Watch Prize for the 28ti in November. Another important winner was Bulgari's Octo Finissimo Chronograph GMT Automatic, which won the Chronograph Watch Prize.
Newcomers Genus, Kudoke, and Ming won their first award, while Audemars Piguet picked up 3 more, cementing their status as the most honored company in history. Voutilainen also impressed, with 2 awards, while Chanel and Seiko continued their dominance of the Ladies' and Sports/Diver's watch categories. Luc Pettavino was honored with the Special Jury Prize for founding Only Watch.
Greubel Forsey Grande Sonnerie
© Greubel Forsey
Greubel Forsey wins the prize for the extraordinary mechanical watch at the Grand Prix d'Horlogerie de Genève
With this hitherto most complicated watch developed by this manufacturer, Greubel Forsey wins the “Mechanical Exception” award at the 18th Grand Prix d'Horlogerie de Genève (GPHG).
Robert Greubel, Stephen Forsey and their team completed eleven years of research for this model, assembled no less than 935 components, filed two patents, incorporated Greubel Forsey's third basic invention (the Tourbillon 24 Secondes), developed an acoustic resonance cage generating an extreme purity of sound, installed eleven functional safety features, and carried out a three-year wear test.
Sinn 1800 Damaszener
Sinn presents a watch made of Damascus steel on the MunichTime 2018
The Frankfurt watch manufacturer Sinn presented a 100 pieces limited watch made of Damascus steel on the MunichTime in 2018. In order to bring the characteristics textures of Damascus steel to the fore – an organic pattern of alternating bands of light and dark – the dial and central part of the case are forged from a complete steel block rather than designed as separate components, as is customary. The result is rather remarkable for the Damascus pattern on the dial continues across the entire case to create a fascinating and impressive whole.
Damascus steel has fascinated humankind for centuries. It gained its legendary reputation above all in the making of swords, knives and blades. Damascus steel is a combination of at least two different types of steel, layered to create the aforesaid surface design.
The traditional art of making Damascus steel is very elaborate and portrays a unique blend of craftsmanship and application. During production, the different types of steel are layered and forge-welded together.
The piece is then forged, halved while in a glowing state and layered together again. Experts refer to this as ‘folding'. By combining soft and hard steels, a new kind of steel is created, one which displays properties of both. In the final stage of production, the Damascus pattern is made visible through surface etching. The steels are dissolved to varying extents by acid, thus forming the typical light and dark nuances.
Also during production of the 1800 S DAMASZENER, the layered structure is made visible through final surface etching, which gives the material its characteristic appearance. Each watch thus becomes an extraordinary and unique timepiece, as the flow of lines cannot be physically manipulated.
Bell & Ross BR S-92 Golden Heritage
© Bell & Ross
Stylish timepiece by Bell & Ross
In December 2018, Bell & Ross presents this new model with the typical square case. The watch has a black dial with gilded indices and can optionally to be combined with a caramel colored leather bracelet or a Milanaise strap.
- 7.2.2023: A. Lange & Söhne Zeitwerk (2022)
- 9.12.2022: Panzera
- 6.12.2022: Byrne
- 25.9.2022: Greubel Forsey GMT Balancier Convexe
- 14.8.2022: Hercules
- 23.7.2022: A. Lange & Söhne 1815 Rattrapante
- 10.6.2022: Code41 • Code41 X41 Edition 6 • Code41 Anomaly Evolution • STP1-11 • Code41 Day41
- 9.6.2022: Maurice de Mauriac Rallymaster • Maurice de Mauriac
- 5.6.2022: Greubel Forsey QP à Équation • Greubel Forsey Quadruple Tourbillon Secret • Greubel Forsey Quadruple Tourbillon (update) • Greubel Forsey Signature 1 • Greubel Forsey Tourbillon 24 Secondes (update) • Greubel Forsey Tourbillon 24 Secondes Contemporain • Greubel Forsey Tourbillon 24 Secondes Edition Historique
- 3.6.2022: Cartier Pasha Moon Phases 41 mm • Cartier Pasha 42 mm • Cartier Pasha 42 mm Chronograph • Cartier Pasha 41 mm Chronograph • Cartier Pasha 41 mm Skeleton • Cartier Pasha 41 mm Tourbillon • Cartier Pasha 41 mm Tourbillon Skeleton • Cartier Pasha 41 mm Tourbillon Skeleton Diamonds • Cartier Pasha 41 mm Grid
- 22.5.2022: Cartier Drive Extra-Flat
- 21.5.2022: Cartier Rotonde de Cartier Calendar Aperture and Power Reserve • Cartier Rotonde de Cartier Large Date Retrograde Second Time Zone and Day Night Indicator • Cartier Rotonde de Cartier Chronograph • Cartier Ballon Bleu 36 mm • Cartier Ballon Bleu 40 mm • Cartier Ballon Bleu Moon Phase 37 mm
- 14.5.2022: Tudor Heritage Chrono • Tudor Black Bay Fifty-Eight
- 10.5.2022: Piaget Altiplano Ultimate Automatic • Angelus Chronodate
- 9.5.2022: Doppelgänger • Speake-Marin Openworked Tourbillon
- 8.5.2022: Ressence Type 8 C • Speake-Marin Ripples
- 7.5.2022: Laurent Ferrier Sport Auto
- 3.5.2022: Rudis Sylva • Rudis Sylva RS05 • Rudis Sylva RS10 • Rudis Sylva RS11 • Rudis Sylva RS16 • Rebellion
- 2.5.2022: Reservoir
- 27.4.2022: Patek Philippe Calatrava 5226
- 26.4.2022: A. Lange & Söhne Grand Lange 1 (2012) (updated) • A. Lange & Söhne Odysseus (updated) • A. Lange & Söhne Richard Lange Minute Repeater
- 24.4.2022: Patek Philippe Aquanaut Luce 5268
- 22.4.2022: Patek Philippe Sky Moon Tourbillon 6002 • Patek Philippe Minute Repeater Perpetual Calendar 5374/300P • Patek Philippe Minute Repeater 5078 • Patek Philippe Minute Repeater Tourbillon Perpetual Calendar 5316 • Patek Philippe Minute Repeater Tourbillon 5303 • Patek Philippe Grande and Petite Sonnerie Minute Repeater 6301 • Patek Philippe Flyback Chronograph Annual Calendar 5905
- 21.4.2022: Patek Philippe Calatrava 6119
- 15.4.2022: PP 30-255 • PP 26-330 • PP AL 30-660 • PP 28-20 • Patek Philippe Gondolo 5200
- 14.4.2022: PP R TO 27 • PP 36-750
- 13.4.2022: PP R 27 • Patek Philippe Seal • PP 31-260
- 12.4.2022: PP CH 29-535 • Gosteli, Paul • PP CH 28-520
- 9.4.2022: Patek Philippe Calatrava 5116
- 7.4.2022: Leonidas (update)
- 5.4.2022: Trilobe
- 2.4.2022: Rolex Yacht-Master 40 • Rolex Yacht-Master 42
- 1.4.2022: Rolex GMT-Master II 126720 • Rolex Oyster Perpetual Date GMT-Master (Update) • Rolex Oyster Perpetual Date GMT-Master II (Update)
- 31.3.2022: Rolex Air-King (Update) • Rolex Air-King 126900 • Chronergy
- 30.3.2022: Chopard L.U.C Full Strike Sapphire • Grand Seiko Kodo Constant-force Tourbillon • Watches & Wonders 2022 (fair opened today) • Louis Moinet • Phillips, Édouard • Speake-Marin Dual Time
- 28.3.2022: Jaeger-LeCoultre Reverso Tribute Gyrotourbillon (Update) • JLC 179 • Jaeger-LeCoultre Reverso Gran'Sport Duetto (Update)
- 26.3.2022: A. Lange & Söhne Zeitwerk Date • Lange L043 (Update) • A. Lange & Söhne Langematik Perpetual Honeygold
- 24.3.2022: A. Lange & Söhne Zeitwerk Honeygold “Lumen” • Lange L043.9 • Honeygold • Eza Watches • A. Lange & Söhne 1815 Chronograph “Best of Show 2021” Concorso d’Eleganza Villa d’Este • A. Lange & Söhne Langematik Perpetual (Update) • A. Lange & Söhne Saxonia Outsize Date • A. Lange & Söhne Saxonia Moon Phase • Lange L086.5 • Lange L086.8
- 20.3.2022: Lange L133 • A. Lange & Söhne Lange 1 Perpetual Calendar • Lange L141 • A. Lange & Söhne Lange 1 Time Zone (Update)
- 19.3.2022: A. Lange & Söhne Odysseus • Lange L155
- 6.3.2022: A. Lange & Söhne 1815 Kalenderwoche • Calendar week • Lange L051 • Lange L072 • Lange L082
- 5.3.2022: A. Lange & Söhne calibres (Update) • A. Lange & Söhne (Update) • Lange L041 • Lange L031 • Lange L042 • Lange L045
- 4.3.2022: Lange L901 • Lange L902 • Lange L911 • Lange L001 • Lange L021 • Lange L033 • Lange L034 • Lange L922 • Lange L943
- 3.3.2022: Lange L952 • A. Lange & Söhne Datograph Perpetual • A. Lange & Söhne Lange 1 Moonphase (update) • Lange L121
- 1.3.2022: A. Lange & Söhne Saxonia Triple Split
- 28.2.2022: A. Lange & Söhne Saxonia Thin • Renan
- 27.2.2022: A. Lange & Söhne Zeitwerk Striking Time • A. Lange & Söhne Saxonia Automatic (update)
- 23.2.2022: Vandaag • 2022 • Vandaag Schallmauer Automatik-Chronograph • SW 510
- 16.2.2022: Union Glashütte Noramis Datum
- 10.2.2022: Hand (updated)
- 10.2.2022: Ochs und Junior
- 3.2.2022: 1805 • Moser, Heinrich
- 29.1.2022: 1782
- 28.1.2022: Bulgari Octo Finissimo S • BVL 138
- 30.12.2021: Ferrari Engineered by Officine Panerai
- 23.12.2021: Greubel Forsey GMT Quadruple Tourbillon
- 21.12.2021: Raketa Classic Big Zero
- 20.12.2021: Raketa • Raketa Leopard 24 • Raketa Baikonur • Raketa Space Launcher
- 18.12.2021: Jean Marcel
- 13.12.2021: Grand Seiko SBGW231 • Seiko 9S64 • Grand Seiko SBGZ007 • Grand Seiko SLGA007 • Seiko 9R02 • Seiko 9RA2 • Grand Seiko SBGW267 • Grand Seiko SBGW269
- 3.12.2021: Garmin Descent Mk2 • Garmin Forerunner 45 • Garmin Vivoactive 4 • Garmin Enduro
- 1.12.2021: Apple Watch Hermès • Apple Watch Series 3 • Apple Watch SE • Apple Watch Edition
- 30.11.2021: Garmin MARQ Golfer • Casio • Garmin Instinct Solar • Apple Watch • Apple Watch Series 7
- 29.11.2021: Accuracy • Isochronism • Flik Flak • G-Shock • Garmin • Smartwatch • U-Boat
- 28.11.2021: Watch classics • Cartier Tank • Cartier Tank Américaine Tourbillon Volant • Minuterie
- 24.11.2021: Sinn 717 • German Design Award
- 12.11.2021: Rotating bezel (updated)
- 10.11.2021: Bernhard Lederer • Furlan Marri • Mechaquartz
- 9.11.2021: Grand Prix d'Horlogerie de Genève (updated) • Dubai Watch Week • CIGA Design
- 8.11.2021: Chronoswiss C.70
- 6.11.2021: RRM7309-C • RRM7309-CS
- 3.11.2021: Bauhaus
- 2.11.2021: Norqain • Jacob & Co
- 29.10.2021: Fabriques de Balanciers Réunies
- 28.10.2021: Grand Feu
- 27.10.2021: Timex
- 21.10.2021: Circula
- 25.10.2021: Due to an oversight, numerous overlays on the portal pages such as Watch Brand/ Watch Model/ Encyclopedia Article of the Week, The Most Important Watch Brands, Watch Classics, The Movement and Watch Knowledge have not been visible to non-logged-in visitors. This is fixed as of now.
- 26.8.2021: This web page and domain is now working under the wiki system Dokuwiki instead of Mediawiki, which in the end was over-complicated and extremly bulky. At the same time the whole design has been upgraded. Please enjoy!
- Sinn 657
Top quality at a still unbeaten price/performance ratio
- Temption CM-03 - Temption CM-06
Consistent and courageous realization of an independent and credible product philosophy
- Bell & Ross BR 02 Pink Gold
Synthesis of instrument watch and style
- TAG Heuer Carrera Calibre 1 Limited Edition
First Carrera with manual winding since 1996
- Sinn 6100 Klassik B
A regulator of a special kind, with interesting movement
- Audemars Piguet Millenary Deadbeat Seconds 26091
Attractive design meets watchmaking innovation
Hand winding ultra flat
- Jaeger-LeCoultre Master Ultra Thin
Watch aesthetics in pure culture, an authentic product of a manufacture
- Piaget Altiplano 40 mm
The same, only from a competing provider
Chronographs - self-winding
- Hublot Big Bang
Jean-Claude Biver has once again shown all
- Sinn U1000 Diver's chronograph - Sinn 756 Diapal UTC - Sinn 757
Highest quality by Sinn to a still unbeaten price/performance ratio
- TAG Heuer Grand Carrera Calibre 36 RS Caliper Concept watch
High-quality manufacture movement measures 1/10 sec mechanically, the whole thing with a striking exterior garnish
- Rainer Brand Kerala Sport E
The insider tip manufacturer keeps delivering authentic quality
- Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Offshore "Safari"
Perhaps the most beautiful model in the successful series of the Royal Oak Offshore
Chronographs - manual winding
- Breitling Bentley Mulliner Tourbillon
A real “object of desire”, luxury chronograph with tourbillon
- A. Lange & Söhne Datograph Perpetual
Watchmaking art from Glashütte par excellence
World Timers / Watches with Additional Time Zone
- Sinn 6000 Finanzplatzuhr - Sinn 6066
Successful model for stock market jobbers and other friends of complications
- Guinand World Time Watch WZU-5
Helmut Sinn knows how to astonish experts even in his 90's
- Girard-Perregaux ww.tc - Financial
World timer with class, style and manufacture know-how
Watches with Repetition
- Audemars Piguet Jules Audemars Minutenrepetition Springende Stunde
Audemars Piguet keeps loyal to its long tradition of elaborate repetitions
Watches with Perpetual Calendar
- Audemars Piguet Millenary Tradition d'Excellence 5
Newly developed Escapement concept, attractively packaged
- Girard-Perregaux Laureato Evo 3 Chronograph Ewiger Kalender
Sportiness meets haute horlogerie
Astronomical Watches - self-winding
- Vacheron Constantin Tour de L'Ile
Showpiece of the oldest manufacture, presented at the 250-year jubilee
Astronomical Watches - manual winding
- Patek Philippe Sky Moon Tourbillon Ref. 5002
Invaluable — but we may all wonder
- A. Lange & Söhne Große Lange 1 "Luna Mundi" 2 Uhren
Watch art at its absolute peak, but this time from Germany